Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tuesday's Tip - RAW files

I have been getting quite a few e-mails on being a mentor or helping out with some photo related question. I decided that I will try and answer some of these questions on my blog as I am not ready to take a mentoring role...just yet.

If you have a question please send me a note and I can answer it on my blog.

Today's question...What is a RAW file?

A RAW file is the unprocessed file that is captured by your DSLR camera when you take a photograph. It is basically the closest thing to what film is in a film camera. RAW is uncompressed unlike JPG. RAW gives you flexibility and room to edit the photo in post processing to fix and adjust things you may have missed in the actual shot. For example you can recover blown out whites (within limit) Unfortnatly you can't take a RAW file and print it out- you must first convert it to a JPG or TIFF. So, using RAW increases your abilities, but it also increases your workflow. Hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment